Monday, May 12, 2014

Stuff from the top of my head: Tips from an OT with 24 years of experience



Before the placement we asked you to share your tips; to get your thinking going I listed off some sentences for you to “fill in the blanks”.  One of our educators took us up on the challenge--this was what came off the top of her head…


Something I do to prepare is…
Review the student manual and update materials.  This makes me think about seeing my job for the first time. Would this make sense to a first glance?


One thing I’m going to try for this placement is…
To integrate theory in a more conscious manner, working through it with the student…co-learning!

I’ve heard from students that “thinking outloud” has been helpful for their learning.

Lisa's Comment:  Click on the "thinking out loud" link above to see an earlier tip on this subject.  We also hope to post some tips soon on talking about theory with your student.

I would tell a new educator…
That you don’t need to know everything.

Lisa’s comment:  With her 24 years added to the 3 OTs in this previously posted “you don’t need to know everything” tip, we have at least 95 years of experience behind this tip.  If you are pretending that you have all the answers, give yourself permission to stop!


Something I remember that my educator did when I was a student was…
Ask me how I felt I did before providing me with any feedback. Self-reflection proved to be a great tool for life.

Something that makes me nervous is…
Not knowing everything! Despite my earlier note…however, it’s okay not to know everything and modeling how to get through an area of limited knowledge / experience is a great teaching moment, both for myself and a student.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment