Monday, June 3, 2013

Ask your student to make predictions

When you, as an experienced therapist, get a referral or review a chart you instantly make predictions about what you anticipate you will see and do.
Despite having only a minimal amount of information, you already have a basic template in your head of what you will likely need to address with the client.  You probably even have what you need packed in your bag (or trunk of your car).  In fact, you likely have a back-up plan (or more!) ready to go. All of these predictions are based on the experiences you’ve had before with similar clients.
Prediction Tip: Part 1
When you ask your student to read a chart or a referral, have him/her create two lists.  One list can be called, “Things I know about the client” and the other list can be called “Things I anticipate”.  When the student is thinking about what is anticipated, he/she might consider:
·         How I expect the client to present based on the diagnosis or referral (I think he will have difficulties concentrating, poor balance, difficulties with swallowing etc).  The student may need to look this up if the diagnosis is not familiar
·         The occupational performance issues that are anticipated (So what occupations do I think this will impact based on what I know about the client?  What occupations should I make sure I ask about?)
·         The environmental conditions that need to be looked at based on what I already know (Is it important to know about stairs? Who else lives in the home?)
·         How the client will progress (Is it likely this condition will improve?  Get worse?  Maintain?)
Prediction Tip: Part 2 (add a reflection!)
After he/she meets the client, encourage him/her to go back to these lists to see what was right and what was off.   Have the student ask him/herself…
·         For things that were off, why was this so? 
·         Were there cues that I missed in the referral/chart? 
·         Would I do anything different next time? 


Have other tips?  Feel free to let us know!

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment